Go to the U of M home page

Pages

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Disease Prevention and Lifestyles in the Age of AIDS

Susan Mlangwa from the Department of Sociology presents, "Disease Prevention and Lifestyles in the Age of AIDS: Young Professional Couple Relationships in the City of Dar es Salaam: Accounts and Reflections from the Field." Located in 537 Heller Hall, West Bank Camus, at 12:00pm on Thursday Oct. 23.




Disease Prevention and
Lifestyles in the Age of AIDS
Young professional couple relationships in the city of
Dar es Salaam: Accounts and Reflections from the Field
Susan Mlangwa, Department of Sociology
‚ÄúIt was a study about them when I arrived in the field and I knew that was how it was going to stay. Me, listening to their life histories, asking questions, allowing them to explain and observing the way they do things etc. In doing this I was attempting to capture a closer to a full picture, of their lived experiences. Not only did I proceed well with this, I did so only to realize how much of a lifestyle they were trying to makes sense of is as much of a lifestyle I was trying to make sense of for myself! So‚Ķ‚Ķthen came the dynamics of focusing and refocusing on the researcher and the researched to be able to move forward‚Ķ‚Ķ‚Ķ..‚Ä?
(Susan’s reflection from the field).
In this presentation I give an account on how when a research topic in the field gets much interwoven with your own life. I share about the way I found myself a part of the investigation and the study became more of us then them. I reflect on what are the implications for such a development.
Thursday October 23, Noon
537 Heller Hall, West Bank Camp