Go to the U of M home page


Wednesday, August 20, 2014

University Travel Policies

Global Programs & Strategy Alliance reminds all faculty and students that you are required to register your travel with GPS whenever you are traveling abroad for University purposes. Please click here for details

The University's Travel Policy requires all faculty and staff traveling abroad for University purposes to register their travel. This is NOT an approval process. The information on travel plans will remain confidential and only connected to an individual employee in case of emergency or if the travel destination includes Cuba or other U.S. embargoed countries*. For more details, please visit the "Traveling on Business FAQ." The process will take no more than 5 minutes and requires x.500 log-in.
*If travel includes Cuba or another U.S. embargoed country, the Travel Registry will automatically connect the traveler with Pat Briscoe, Export Controls Officer & Designated Cuba Representative in Sponsored Projects Administration.
Faculty can use this link to register: http://travelregistry.umn.edu/
Graduate Assistants, Residents, Fellows, and Students
Graduate assistants, residents, fellows, and students are required to register their travel through the Student International Travel Registry, which will facilitate completion of the following requirements:
Obtain University-approved international travel, health, and security insurance
Sign a release and waiver
Provide 24-7 emergency contacts
Complete health and safety orientation
Graduate students can use this link to register: http://global.umn.edu/travel/registration/index.html
Courtesy of Fiscal Administration, below are a few important points to consider in regards to the new travel policy:
* Receipts are not required for meals and incidentals. Travelers can claim the standard per diem rate for wherever they go.
* Frequent flier miles accrued on University business must be returned for University use, not personal.
* The University has various contracts with travel agencies, car rental companies, bus charters, and hotels. You are encouraged to use these resources whenever possible.